. Our Scientific Advisory Board
established specific criteria to guarantee the safety and efficacy of each botanical ingredient included in what we call our exclusive LSA Complex
. The extraordinary properties in our LSA complex are based on the finest natural ingredients - including the revolutionary Astaxanthin. Found in microalgae, Astaxanthin offers powerful anti-oxidant and anti-irritant benefits. Lindi Skin has been using Astaxanthin topically for ten years now and even included the ingredient in the name of its proprietary complex - the Lindi Skin Astaxanthin complex! Thus the "A" in the "LSA Complex." Just recently this miraculous botanical has made health headlines when taken orally. So we thought we would take the time to further explain the remarkable benefits of this exciting natural source worth exploring as an addition in your vitamin regimen. Astaxanthin Health Benefits
Astaxanthin is a red carotenoid. It has a chemical structure that is similar to beta carotene but its actions in the body are very different. It is naturally occurring and is found in some species of microalgae. Animals that feed on Astaxanthin producing microalgae can develop red pigmentation. This is how lobsters and crabs get their red coloring. Carotenoids
Carotenoids are fat soluble pigments commonly found in the photosynthesis process in microalgae. There are over 600 known carotenoids. Other common carotenoids include beta carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin. Carotenoids typically display antioxidant properties that extend into a wealth of health benefits. Some molds, yeasts and bacteria use carotenoids as protection from harmful exposure to light and oxygen. Animals are not capable of synthesizing carotenoids and can only obtain them from food sources. Antioxidant
Astaxanthin has shown powerful antioxidant properties and appears to be superior to vitamins A and E and other carotenoids such as beta carotene and lutein. Astaxanthin helps in protecting cells and their internal structures from free radical damage. It reduces the formation of plaque buildup in arteries by decreasing oxidation of LDL cholesterol. It is also beneficial in protecting against DNA damage and the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation by singlet and triplet oxygen quenching. Its antioxidant benefits also help to increase stamina and strength. Immune Boosting
Due in part to its antioxidant powers, Astaxanthin can be highly beneficial in boosting the immune system and preventing degenerative diseases. Astaxanthin creates an increase in antibody producing cells. It also enhances the immune system by stimulating T-cells and T-helper cells. It is currently being researched for its anticancer activity. Astaxanthin for the Brain and Eyes
Astaxanthin has the unique ability of crossing the blood-brain barrier in mammals. This feature allows its benefits to reach and protect the eyes and brain from free radical damage. Due to the high susceptibility of oxidative damage to the brain, this is an especially important area for an antioxidant to reach. Astaxanthin aids in the recovery of strokes by repairing damage due to oxygen deprivation. It is also beneficial in the prevention of macular degeneration. Astaxanthin is being researched as a possible treatment in Alzhiemer's, Parkinson's and other neurodegenerative diseases. Astaxanthin At-a-Glance
- Astaxanthin is by far the most powerful carotenoid antioxidant when it comes to free radical scavenging: astaxanthin is 65 times more powerful than vitamin C, 54 times more powerful than beta-carotene, and 14 times more powerful than vitamin E.
- Astaxanthin is far more effective than other carotenoids at "singlet oxygen quenching," which is a particular type of oxidation. The damaging effects of sunlight and various organic materials are caused by this less-stable form of oxygen. Astaxanthin is 550 times more powerful than vitamin E and 11 times more powerful than beta-carotene at neutralizing singlet oxygen.
- Astaxanthin crosses the blood-brain barrier AND the blood-retinal barrier (beta carotene and lycopene do not), which brings antioxidant and anti-inflammatory protection to your eyes, brain and central nervous system and reduces your risk for cataracts, macular degeneration, blindness, dementia and Alzheimer's disease.
- Astaxanthin is soluble in lipids, so it incorporates into cell membranes.
- It's a potent UVB absorber and reduces DNA damage.
- It's a powerful natural anti-inflammatory.
Lindi Skin was developed by a team of medical experts in oncology and dermatology who work closely with cancer patients suffering the skin side effects of